BASIC CALLIGRAPHY SUPPLIES
These are supplies that can be gathered over time. You don't need to buy them all at once. As your study of calligraphy progresses, these are things you will find useful. Most calligraphers begin with a box or container to hold their tools. Some use a fishing tackle box or small tool box, others use craft bags. Look around at guild meetings to see what others are using and choose what you think will work best for you.
• Paper Towels (for wiping nibs & cleaning up)
• Pencils—Soft and hard lead
• Pencil Sharpener
• White Vinyl Eraser
• Bone Folder
• X-acto Knife & Blades (#11 blades are most versatile)
• Nib Holder & Variety of Nibs. Speedball C-2, C-1 & C-0 nibs are very good,
and they are readily available along the Wasatch Front. A set of Mitchell, Tape or Brause nibs are excellent for smaller writing. They can be ordered from John Neal or Paper and Ink Arts. You can find links to these sellers at the bottom of this page.
• Practice Ink--Higgins Eternal is a good ink for practice, and can be obtained locally.
• Graph Practice Pad—1/8 inch grid. UCA sells these.
• Glue stick
• Masking Tape
• Rulers—A metal ruler with a cork backing and a plastic C-Thru ruler with a 1/8 inch grid. Each should be 18 inches long if possible.
NICE TO HAVE, BUT NOT ESSENTIAL TOOLS:
• Adjustable Hollow Easel & Board
• Gouache & Watercolors (including pan colors)
• Mixing Tray
• Paint Brushes—Various sizes, both flat and round.
• Water Container
• Colored Pencils—Prisma brand is good and watercolor pencils come in handy, also.
• Self-Healing Cutting Mat
• Bottle of Water with Dropper Top or Pipettes—These let you easily put water into watercolors and ink.
• Restickable Glue Stick
• Large T-Square
CONTACT THESE SELLERS FOR CALLIGRAPHY SUPPLIES:
• Some supplies can be obtained locally at Michaels, Hobby Lobby or Dick Blick in Sugarhouse (formerly Utrecht)
If you are interested in attending a UCA meeting please check the CALENDAR tab on this webpage for date, time and place. For additional information concerning monthly meetings or how to join our group, please email UCA Secretary, Liz Margetts at firstname.lastname@example.org
Remember, you can attend your first meeting for free.
Like us on Facebook to learn about our latest art exhibitions, community out-reach programs, workshops and monthly meetings.